Place:


Hillsley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hillsley like this:

HILLESLEY, HILLSLEY, or HILDESLEY, a tything and a chapelry in Hawkesbury parish, Gloucester. The tything lies under the Cotswolds, 2¾ miles S by E of Wotton-under-Edge, and 3½ ENE of Wickwar r. station. Real property, £2, 355. Pop., 451. Houses, 121. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Kilcott; and was constituted in 1852. ...


Post town, Wotton-under-Edge. Pop., 574. Houses, 146. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £71.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1851; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and bell turret. The previous church was an ancient chapel, with a chantry; and many interesting remains of it were discovered at the founding of the present edifice.

Hillsley through time

Hillsley is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hillsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hillsley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21463

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hillsley ".