Place:


Heyhouses  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heyhouses like this:

HEYHOUSES, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies in Pendle forest, adjacent to Sabden village, 4½ miles SE by S of Clitheroe r. station; and was at one time extra-parochial. Acres, 320. Real property, £460. Pop., 128. Houses, 28. The chapelry also includes part of Sabden, which has a post office under Blackburn; and it was constituted in 1 849. ...


Pop., 1, 616. Houses, 339. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, L. G. N. Starkie, Esq. The church was built in 1842; is in the Norman style; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and spire. There is a national school, with an endowment of £10 a year.

Heyhouses through time

Heyhouses is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heyhouses itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heyhouses, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21461

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heyhouses ".