Place:


Heeley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heeley like this:

HEELEY, a hamlet in Nether Hallam township, and a chapelry partly also in Sheffield township, Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the river Sheaf, at the boundary with Derbyshire, 2 miles S of Sheffield town and r. station; has a post office under Sheffield; and carries on the spring knife manufacture. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 052; in 1861, 2, 453. Houses, 515. The increase of pop. arose from the operations of freehold land and building societies.—The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop. in 1861, 5, 563. Houses, 1, 204. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. * Patron, alternately the Crown and the Archbishop. The church is modern, and stands on an eminence. There are a Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and a girls' school of industry.

Heeley through time

Heeley is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heeley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heeley, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21458

Date accessed: 22nd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Heeley".