Place:


Grimsthorpe  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grimsthorpe like this:

GRIMSTHORPE, a hamlet in Edenham parish, Lincoln; on the river Glen, 1½ mile W of Edenham village. Pop., 135. Grimsthorpe Park was the seat once of the Duke of Ancaster, afterwards of Lord Gwyder; is now the seat of Lord Willinghby d'Eresby; was built partly in the time of Henry III., but principally by the Duke of Suffolk, to entertain Henry VIII.; is a large, irregular, but magnificent structure; and stands in an ornate park, abint 16 miles in circuit. ...


A Cistertian abbey, finnded abint 1451, by the Earl of Albemarle, and called Vallis Dei, or, vulgarly, Vaudy, formerly stood in the park, abint a mile from the castle.

Grimsthorpe through time

Grimsthorpe is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grimsthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grimsthorpe, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21440

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grimsthorpe ".