Place:


Newton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district of Ashton-under-Lyne, and county of Chester. The village stands near the Peak-Forest canal, and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 1¼ mile S of the river Tame at the boundary with Lancashire, and 2½ S S E of Ashton-under-Lyne; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Newton-Moor, under Manchester. ...


The township contains also the villages of Newton-Green and Floweryfield; is sometimes called Newton-Moor; and is in the parish of Mottram-in-Langdendale. Acres, 868. Real property, £19, 427; of which £1, 300 are in mines, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 7, 481; in 1861, 6, 440. Houses, 1, 289. The decrease of pop. was caused by discontinuance of employment in cotton-mills. The manor belonged to the Davenports; went in 1302, by marriage, to Thomas de Newton; and was purchased in the latter part of the 17th century, from the last of the Newtons, by Sir Charles Duckinfield. Newton House is the seat of James Ashton, Esq.; Newton Lodge, of John Ashton, Esq.; and Goodier House, of D. Adamson, Esq. A house at Harrison-Fold was the residence, priorto his removal to the vicinity of Rochdale, of the famous schoolmaster and author, John Collier, better known as Tim Bobbin. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1841. Pop. in 1861, 5, 416. Houses, 1,090. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Mottram. The church is a modern edifice, in the Norman style; comprises nave and chancel; and contains a handsome monument to J. and J. Ashton, Esqs., and one to the Rev. W. Johnson. There are chapels for Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and a mixed national school. Newton-Greenforms part of the chapelry of Godley. The sub-district consists of the townships of Newton and Godley. Acres, 1, 507. Pop. in 1851, 8, 834; in 1861, 7, 625. Pop., 1, 525.

Newton through time

Newton is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Tameside and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2144

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton".