Place:


Goodshaw  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goodshaw like this:

GOODSHAW, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire, 2 miles NE of Haslingden r. station. It was constituted in 1850; and its post town is Rawtenstall, under Manchester. Rated property, £12, 204. Pop., 4, 808. Houses, 902. The property is much subdivided. There are cotton factories, calico printing works, collieries, and quarries. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church dates from 1530; was rebuilt in 1829; and has an old stone font. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a mechanics' institute, and a national school.

Goodshaw through time

Goodshaw is now part of Rossendale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rossendale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goodshaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goodshaw, in Rossendale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21434

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goodshaw ".