Place:


Ettingshall  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ettingshall like this:

ETTINGSHALL, a hamlet in Sedgley parish and a chapelry in Sedgley and Wolverhampton parishes, Stafford. The hamlet lies near the Birmingham and Stafford railway, 2 miles SSE of Wolverhampton; and has a station, of the name of Ettingshall Road, on the railway, and a post office under Wolverhampton. ...


The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1841. Pop., 3, 210. Houses, 626. The property is not much divided. Many of the inhabitants are miners. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was built in 1838; stands over the mines; is constructed partly of timber; and contains 926 sittings.

Ettingshall through time

Ettingshall is now part of Wolverhampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wolverhampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ettingshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ettingshall, in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21412

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ettingshall ".