Elphinstone  East Lothian


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Elphinstone like this:

Elphinstone, a collier village in Tranent parish, W Haddingtonshire, 2 miles S by W of Tranent town. It has a public school and a Primitive Methodist chapel (1867). Elphinstone Tower, 5 furlongs WSW, is a square three-storied pile of the 14th or 15th century, a ruin, but well preserved, the two lower stories retaining their stone vaulting, and the uppermost having been re-roofed with slate. ...

In the hall, on the second story, eight carved escutcheons are over the fireplace. A mansion, built on to the tower in 1600, was demolished in 1865. The lands of Elphinstone were held in the 13th and 14th centuries by Lord Elphinstone's ancestors, and passed from them by marriage to the Johnstons. On a December night of vehement frost, 1545, George Wishart was brought from Ormiston by the Earl of Bothwell to Elphinstone Tower, where was Cardinal Beaton; and thence he was taken to St Andrews for trial and execution. Pop. of village (1861) 388, (1871) 488, (1881) 597.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

Elphinstone through time

Elphinstone is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elphinstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elphinstone in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elphinstone".