Place:


East Huntspill  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Huntspill like this:

HUNTSPILL (EAST), a village and a chapelry in Huntspill parish, Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue and the Highbridge and Glastonbury railway, 4 miles E of Highbridge, and 7 NNE of Bridgewater. The chapelry was constituted in 18 45; is sometimes called All Saints; and has, at Bason-Bridge, a station on the railway, and a post office under Bridgewater. ...


Pop., 678. Houses, 136. The land is chiefly in pasture, and is divided principally among six owners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and wells. Value, £130.* Patron, the Rector of Huntspill. The church was built in 1840; is in the Norman style; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with bell turret. There is a national school.

East Huntspill through time

East Huntspill is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Huntspill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Huntspill, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21402

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Huntspill".