Place:


Deerness  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Deerness like this:

Deerness, a parish of Orkney, comprising a peninsula in the extreme E of Pomona and the islands of Copenshay, Cornholm, and Horse. Its kirktown stands on the E coast of the peninsula, 8½ miles E by S of Kirkwall, under which it has a post office. Extending from Moul Head south-westward to the isthmus that connects it with St Andrews parish, and measuring 5 miles in length by 3 in extreme breadth, the said peninsula is bounded W and NW by Deer Sound, E by the North Sea, and SE by Newark Bay; the islands lie from 11/3 mile to 3 miles to the E. ...


From the shores, which are haunted- by myriads of sea-birds, the surface of the peninsula rises to a somewhat tabular summit. The soil consists mostly of loam, resting on red clay, and is highly susceptible of improvements, such as draining. and a liberal application of shell sand, of which there is an inexhaustible supply- From 50 to 60 boats are employed in the herring fishery; kelp is manufactured; and very strong ropes, fitted for various economic purposes of the farmer, are made from the shoots of Empetrum nigrum, from the roots of Arundo arenaria, and from the herbage of Holeus lanatus. Several tumuli are on the higher grounds; and remains of a large Pict's house, called Dingy's Howe or Duncan's Height, stand near the end of the isthmus- The parish is united quoad civilia to St Andrews, from which, however, it was separated quoad sacra in 1845; Deerness itself being a living in the presbytery of Kirkwall and synod of Orkney, with stipend of £120, a manse, and 3 acres of glebe. The church was originally a parliamentary one. There is also a Free church; and three public schools-Deerness, St Andrews, and Tankerness-with respective accommodation for 155,55, and 80 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 92,50, and 44, and grants of £80,4s., £41, and £33,14s. Valuation of civil parish (1881) £1976,16s. 6d. Pop. of same (1801) 660, (1831) 661, (1861) 831, (1871) 863, (1881)

Deerness through time

Deerness is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deerness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deerness in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21388

Date accessed: 13th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Deerness".