Darnick  Roxburghshire


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Darnick like this:

Darnick, a village in Melrose parish, Roxburghshire, near the right bank of the Tweed, 7 furlongs W of Melrose town, under which it has a post office. Darnick Tower, the chief of three peels that once stood clustered here, and the finest specimen extant of its kind, was founded by the Heitons about 1425, but, razed and cast down by the English in 1545, appears to have been repaired or rebuilt in 1569-the date of the crest (a bull's head) above the entrance door. ...

A massive square tower, battlemented and corbie-gabled, with side stair-turret, it still is habitable, and still is held by a descendant of its founder, Andrew Heiton, Esq-, F.S.A. (b. 1827; suc. 1870), whose cousin and predecessor converted it into a kind of Border antiquarian museum. Scott coveted it sorely, to make an armoury of it, and from it was jestingly dubbed, by his familiar friends, the Duke of Darnick. Pop. of village (1841) 280, (1871), 435, (1881) 371. See James Wade's History of -Melrose Abbey (Edinb. 1861).

Darnick through time

Darnick is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Darnick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Darnick, in Scottish Borders and Roxburghshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 05th December 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Darnick ".