Place:


Craigellachie  Banffshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Craigellachie like this:

Craigellachie, a village in the N of Aberlour parish, W Banffshire, finely seated, 300 feet above sea-level, on the left bank of the Spey, which here receives the Fiddich, and here is crossed by a handsome iron bridge, with round embattled towers at the angles and a single arch of 100 feet span, erected in 1815 at a cost of £8000, as also by the viaduct (1857) of the Great North of Scotland railway. ...


The junction of the Morayshire, Keith, and Strathspey sections of that system, it is 12f miles SSE of Elgin, 14¾ WSW of Keith, 68 NW by W of Aberdeen, 33¼ NE of Boat of Garten, and 121¾ N by E of Perth; and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, two insurance agencies, gas-works, an hotel, an Established church, with 116 sittings, and a girls' school, with accommodation for 81 children. Water has been introduced, and building actively carried on since the summer of 1880, when a new street was sanctioned round the top of the lofty quartz crag above the station, on feus given off by Lord Fife at £8 per acre. -Ord. Sur., sh. 85, 1876.

Craigellachie through time

Craigellachie is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Craigellachie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Craigellachie, in Moray and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21380

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Craigellachie ".