Place:


Clearwell  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clearwell like this:

CLEARWELL, a tything in Newland parish, and a chapelry in Newland and West Dean parishes, Gloucester. The tything lies in Dean forest, near the river Wye, 5½ miles SSE of Monmouth, and 6 NW of Lydney r. station; and has a post office under Coleford. Real property, £3, 675; of which £260 are in quarries, and £50 in mines. ...


Pop., 816. Houses, 156. The property is not much divided. Clearwell Park is the seat of the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. A great heap of Roman money, comprising about 3, 000 copper coins, was found here in 1847. The chapelry was constituted in 1856. Pop., 1, 244. Houses, 245. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Cloucester and Bristol. Value, £200.* Patron, the Dowager Countess of Dunraven. The church was rebuilt in 1866. There are handsome schools.

Clearwell through time

Clearwell is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clearwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clearwell, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21374

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clearwell ".