Place:


Chapel Allerton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chapel Allerton like this:

ALLERTON-CHAPEL, or Chapel-allerton, a chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2½ miles N of Leeds. It has a post office‡ of the name of Chapel Allerton, under Leeds; and it contains the hamlets of Moor-Allerton, Mean-wood, and Allerton-Gledhew. Acres, 2,747. Real property, £13,254. Pop, 3,083. Houses, 682. The property is much subdivided; and there are many handsome residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £361.* Patron, the vicar of Leeds. The church is in the Corinthian style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and public schools.

Chapel Allerton through time

Chapel Allerton is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chapel Allerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chapel Allerton, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21370

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chapel Allerton ".