Place:


Beachley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beachley like this:

BEACHLEY, a chapelry in Tidenham parish, Gloucester; at the influx of the river Wye to the Severn, adjacent to the South Wales railway, 2 miles SE of Chepstow. Post Town, Chepstow. Rated property, £958. Pop., 229. The property is divided among a few. Beachley Lodge is a fine seat. Here is the Aust ferry across the Severn, which was considered an important military pass in all times of war; and here was the termination of Offa's Dyke, which can still be traced. ...


The. living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £16. Patron, the Vicar of Tidenham The church is very good.

Beachley through time

Beachley is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beachley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beachley, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21332

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beachley ".