Place:


Ardentinny  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ardentinny like this:

Ardentinny (Gael. ard-an-teine, ` height of the fire '), a picturesque village on the western shore of Loch Long, in the Kilmun portion of Dunoon-Kilmun parish, Cowal, Argyllshire, 4½ miles N of Strone Point, and 11/8 mile W of Coulport, with which it is connected by a ferry. Standing upon a spit of low ground, at the base of wood-skirted Stronchullin Hill (1798 feet) and Cnap Ream (1067), with Ben Ruadh (2178) in their rear, it mainly consists of a few snug cottages, the summer resort of Glasgow citizens; and with Glasgow and Greenock it communicates twice a day by the Lochgoilhead and Arrochar steamers, while a good carriage-road up Glen Finart, leads 4½ miles NNW to Whistlefield Inn upon Loch Eck. ...


It has a post office under Greenock, an hotel, an Established church (erected in 1839 by A. Douglas, Esq., at a cost of £500), and a public school, which, with accommodation for 45 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 24, and a grant of £31,9s. Tannahill's exquisite song, The Lass o' Arranteenie (published in 1807), has made this village famous; but nothing is known of the ` sweet lass ' herself, whether she ever lived, or was only a creature of the poet's fancy.-The quoad sacra parish of Ardentinny was erected in 1874 out of Kilmun and Lochgoilhead, measures 6½ by 4½ miles, and in winter has a population of barely 250.

Ardentinny through time

Ardentinny is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ardentinny itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardentinny in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21318

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ardentinny ".