Place:


Appledore  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appledore like this:

APPLEDORE, a seaport village and a chapelry in Northam parish, Devon. The village stands on the bay at the mouths of the rivers Torridge and Taw, 3 miles N of Bideford r. station; and has a head post office,‡ designated Appledore, North Devon. It has pleasant environs, a fine bathing-beach, and good accommodation for strangers; so that it has become an esteemed watering place. ...


It is a sub-port to Bideford; and a number of its inhabitants are engaged in the coasting trade and in dockyards. Hubba, the Dane, landed here in the time of King Alfred, but was taken in the neighbourhood, and put to death. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 2,210. Houses, 513. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Northam. The church is a neat edifice; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans.

Appledore through time

Appledore is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appledore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appledore, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21317

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appledore ".