Place:


Croxdale  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croxdale like this:

CROXDALE, a chapelry in St. Oswald and Merrington parishes, Durham; on the river Wear and the Weardale railway, adjacent to the York and Newcastle railway, 3 miles S of Durham. It consists of the townships of Sunderland-Bridge and Hett, -the former of which has a post office under Durham; and it was constituted in 1843. ...


Acres, 2, 632. Rated property, £1, 621. Pop., 468. Houses, 103. The property is divided among a few. Croxdale Hall is the seat of the Salvins. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £120.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel.

No historical sources have been found which refer to the settlement of Croxdale as 'Crossdale', but the latter name has not been found on any topographic maps, the location given by the descriptive gazetteers for Crossdale as three miles south of Durham clearly fits Croxdale, and the valley of Croxdale Beck can be described as a ravine.

Croxdale through time

Croxdale is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croxdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croxdale, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21309

Date accessed: 08th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croxdale ".