Place:


Cross Stone  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cross Stone like this:

CROSSTONE, Cross-Stone, or Croston, a village, and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village is in Stansfield township, on the west border of the county; stands near Eastwood r. station, and 8½ miles W of Halifax; and had anciently a stone cross. The chapelry includes the village, and is more extensive than the township. ...


Post town, Eastwood, under Todmorden. Rated property, £25, 527. Pop., 9, 567. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Lydgate, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels.

Cross Stone through time

Cross Stone is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cross Stone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cross Stone, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21308

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cross Stone ".