Place:


Abson  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abson like this:

ABSON, Abston, or Abbotston, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on a small tributary of the Avon, 3 miles SE of Mangotsfield r. station, and 7 E by N of Bristol. The parish contains also the villages of Bridgegate and Holbrook; and is sometimes called Abson-cum-Wick, and sometimes Wick and Abson. ...


Post Town, Wick under Bath. Acres, 2,315. Real property, £5,541. Pop., 833. Houses, 185. The manor belonged anciently to Glastonbury Abbey, and belongs now to Messrs. Batterbury and Tolman. There are romantic rocky heights, a Roman camp, two Druidical stones, lead and tin ores, and two iron-rolling mills. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Pucklechurch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. There are a church for Abson, of early English date; a church for Wick, built in 1850; Independent and Wesleyan chapels; and a national school.

Abson through time

Abson is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abson itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abson in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21303

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abson ".