Place:


Abington  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Abington like this:

Abington, a village in the E of Crawfordjohn parish, Lanarkshire, standing at 808 feet above sea-level on the left bank of the Clyde, ¾ mile below the influx of Glengonner Water, and 14 miles SSE of Lanark by road. A bridge over the Clyde connects it with Abington station, ¼ mile eastward on the Caledonian: this station having a telegraph office, and being 9 miles S by W of Symington, 43¼ SW of Edinburgh, and 43½ SE of Glasgow. ...


At the village are a Free church, a post office with money order and savings' bank departments, a branch of the Commercial Bank of Scotland, an hotel, and a school, which, with accommodation for 93 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 56, and a grant of £61, 19s. Coursing meetings are held in the vicinity at which the best dogs of England and Ireland are pitted against those of the West of Scotland. Abington House a little S of the village, is a recent erection, the seat of Sir Thomas Edward Colebrooke of Crawford, fourth Bart. since 1759 (b. 1813: suc. 1838), M.P. for Lanarkshire and N Lanarkshire (1857-81), and owner of 29,604 acres in the shire of an annual value of £9282.

Abington through time

Abington is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abington in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21302

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abington ".