Place:


Smallbridge  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smallbridge like this:

SMALLBRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Rochdale parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Roch, 2 miles NE of Rochdale r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Rochdale, and numerous factories. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and curtailed in 1867. Rated property, within the original limits, about £15,000. ...


Pop. in 1861, of the original chapelry, 5,644; of the chapelry as curtailed in 1867, 3,554. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £425.* Patron, the Vicar of Rochdale. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Methodists, and a national school.

Smallbridge through time

Smallbridge is now part of Rochdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smallbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smallbridge, in Rochdale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21297

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Smallbridge".