Place:


Limekilns  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Limekilns like this:

Limekilns, a coast village of SW Fife, mainly in Dunfermline, but partly in Inverkeithing parish, 1 mile E by S of Charlestown and 3 miles SSW of Dunfermline town. In 1814 Limekilns had 4 brigs, 1 schooner, and 137 sloops; in 1843 6 brigs, 7 schooners, 16 sloops, and 1 pinnace, these thirty manned by 168 men; but now there is hardly any shipping, owing to altered modes of transit. ...


An old house, called the ` King's Cellar,' bears date 1581, and was possibly the death-place of Robert Pitcairn (1520-84), first commendator of Dunfermline and secretary of state for Scotland. George Thomson (1759-1851), the editor of a well-known Collection of Scottish Songs, was a native. A ` pan house, for saltmaking, long discontinued, was started in 1613; and in 1825 there was built, at a cost of £2000, a U.P. church, with 1056 sittings, whose congregation- celebrated its centenary on 12 Nov. 1882. Limekilns has also a post office under Dunfermline, and a public school. Pop. (1841) 950, (1861) 828, (1871) 758, (1881) 698, of whom 21 were in Inverkeithing.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Limekilns through time

Limekilns is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Limekilns itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Limekilns in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21296

Date accessed: 19th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Limekilns ".