Place:


Sharrow  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sharrow like this:

SHARROW-HEAD, Sharrow-Moor, and Sharrow-Vale, three hamlets in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles S W of Sheffield. A church was built here in 1869, at a cost of about £5, 600.

The name "Sharrow" is not on the New Popular map, and can only barely be made out on the First Series, but is clearly marked on modern 1:25,000 maps.

Sharrow through time

Sharrow is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sharrow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sharrow, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21293

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sharrow".