Place:


Butterworth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterworth like this:

BUTTERWORTH, a township and two subdistricts in Rochdale parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the verge of the county, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles E of Rochdale. It includes the hamlets of Clegg, Wildhouse, Belfield, Butterworth Hall, Lowhouse, Haughs, and Bleaked-gate-cum-Roughbank. ...


Real property, £26,906; of which £6,355 are in mines. Po-p., 6,704. Houses, 1,332. There are cotton and woollen factories, a church of 1798, dissenting chapels, two endowed schools, and charities £32. The subdistricts are B. Freehold-side and B. Lordship-side; and are jointly conterminate with the township.

Butterworth through time

Butterworth is now part of Rochdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butterworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterworth, in Rochdale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21259

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Butterworth".