Place:


Whitby  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitby like this:

WHITBY, a township in Eastham and Stoke parishes, Cheshire; on the Ellesmere canal, and on the Helsby and Hooton railway, 6½ miles N of Chester. It has a r. station of the name of Whitby-Locks, a post-office under Chester, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a national school. Acres, 1,230. Real property, £2,833. Pop., 792. Houses, 158. W. Hall is the seat of J. Grace, Esq.

Whitby through time

Whitby is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitby, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21220

Date accessed: 03rd August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitby ".