Place:


Whetstone  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whetstone like this:

WHETSTONE, a chapelry, with a village, in Finchley parish, Middlesex; 2 miles NW of Colney-Hatch r. station, and 2 SSE of Barnet. It was constituted in 1836; and it has a post-office‡ under London N, and a police station. Pop., 1,801. Houses, 350. There are several good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £170.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and two public schools.

Whetstone through time

Whetstone is now part of Barnet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whetstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whetstone, in Barnet and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21218

Date accessed: 27th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whetstone ".