Place:


Woolston  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woolston like this:

WOOLSTON, a chapelry in St. Mary-Extra parish, Hants; on the Southampton and Netley railway, 2½ miles ESE of Southampton. It was constituted in 1864; and it has a post-office under Southampton, and a r. station. Pop., 1,110. Much of the land was formerly open heath, but is now occupied by neat villas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of W. The church was built in 1864, and is in the decorated English style.

Woolston through time

Woolston is now part of Southampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woolston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolston, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21214

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woolston".