Place:


Colwyn  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colwyn like this:

COLWYN, a sub-district and a hundred in Radnor. The sub-district is in the Brecon district of Builth; lies along the river Wye, contiguous to Brecon, around Aberedw and Trecoed; and contains five parishes, and four parochial chapelries. Acres, 25, 020. Pop., 1, 964. Houses, 350. The hundred is considerably identical with the sub-district, but more extensive. Acres, 31, 335. Pop., 2, 411. Houses, 437.

Colwyn through time

Colwyn is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colwyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colwyn, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21192

Date accessed: 17th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colwyn ".