Place:


Godolphin  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godolphin like this:

GODOLPHIN, a hamlet and a chapelry in Breage parish, Cornwall. The hamlet lies 4 miles S by E of Gwinear-Road r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Helston; and was anciently called Godolcan, which signifies "a white eagle. " The chapelry was constituted in 1846; and its post town is Hayle. Pop., 1,884. ...


Houses, 386. The land is interesting for hills, fine views, and wealth of minerals. See Breage. Godolphin House was built, in the time of Elizabeth, by Sir Francis Godolphin; belonged to the Godolphin family till they became extinct in 1785; is a quadrangular edifice of granite, with a handsome portico; belongs now to the Duke of Leeds; and is occupied as a farm-house, and marred by the vicinity of mining works. The manor was held by the Godolphins from the Conquest; and passed, by marriage of the youngest daughter of the last of them, to the Duke of Leeds. Sir Sidney Godolphin was created, by Charles II., Baron Godolphin; and by Queen Anne, Earl Godolphin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1846.

Godolphin through time

Godolphin is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Godolphin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godolphin, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21164

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Godolphin ".