Place:


Talke  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Talke like this:

TALK-O'-TH'-HILL, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Audley parish, Stafford; 1¼ mile SW of Kidsgrove-Junction r. station, and 5 NNW of Newcastle-under-Lyne. It has a post-office under Stoke-upon-Trent. Real property, £15,660; of which £10,030 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,973; in 1861, 2,406. ...


Houses, 501. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining and iron-manufacture. The hill indicated in the chapelry's name commands a view over parts of nine counties. There is a sulphurous spring. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £138.* Patron, the Vicar of Audley.

Talke through time

Talke is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Talke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Talke, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21105

Date accessed: 27th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Talke".