Place:


St Johns  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Johns like this:

JOHN-NEAR-SWANSEA (ST.), a parish in Swansea district, Glamorgan; near Swansea r. station, and within the SW part of Swansea borough. Post town, Swansea. Acres, 431. Real property, £4, 287. Pop. in 1851, 1, 215; in 1861, 2, 738. Houses, 538. The manor belonged to the Knights of St. John. ...


Clasemont is the seat of Sir John A. Morris, Bart. Most of the parish is occupied by copper and coal works, and by houses connected with them. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £100. Patron, H. H. Vivian, Esq. The church is small, and occupies the site of an ancient chapel of the Knights of St. John.

St Johns through time

St Johns is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Johns itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Johns, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21090

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Johns ".