Place:


Dunham Massey  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunham Massey like this:

DUNHAM-MASSEY, a township and a chapelry in Bowdon parish, Cheshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Mersey, on the Bridgewater canal, and on the Manchester, Lymm, and Runcorn-Gap railway, 2¼ miles WSW of Altrincham; includes the hamlets of Dunham-Town and Dunham-Woodhouse; and has a station on the railway. ...


It was known at Domesday as Doneham; and it belonged anciently to the Masseys, who had a castle at it. Dunham Park is now the property of the Earl of Stamford; and includes a beautiful old seat, and a heronry. A number of villa residences have been built since the opening of the railway. Acres of the township, 3, 470. Real property, £14, 219. Pop., 1, 535. Houses, 287. The chapelry was constituted in 1855, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 4, 569. Houses, 865. Post town, Altrincham, under Manchester The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £80. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church was built in 1864. There are chapels for. Independents and Baptists, and a free school.

Dunham Massey through time

Dunham Massey is now part of Trafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunham Massey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunham Massey, in Trafford and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2109

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunham Massey ".