Place:


Shotover  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shotover like this:

SHOTOVER, an extra-parochial tract in Headington district, Oxfordshire; 1½ mile W of Wheatley r. station, and 4½ E of Oxford. Acres, 900. Real property, £1,668; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., 157. Houses, 33. S. Park is the seat of G. Gammie, Esq. S. Hill was long a royal forest; was given to Dr. ...


Strutt, physician to George III.; passed to the Drurys; was the scene of Queen Elizabeth's meeting with the authorities of Oxford, on occasion of her visiting that city; was under charge of an ancestor of the poet Milton, in capacity of ranger; is associated with the event of Milton s first marriage, and with the residence of Mickle the translator of the "Lusiad;'' possesses great interest for both botanists and geologists; rises to the height of 599 feet; and commands a fine view of Oxford.

Shotover through time

Shotover is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shotover itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shotover in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21071

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shotover ".