Place:


Selhurst  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selhurst like this:

SELHURST, a village in the N E of Surrey; on the London and Brighton railway, 1½ mile N N E of Croydon. It has a station on the railway; and it underwent rapid recent increase, from erection of dwelling-houses for London merchants. An Independent chapel was built in 1866, at a cost of about £2, 300, exclusive of the site.

Selhurst through time

Selhurst is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selhurst, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21065

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Selhurst".