Place:


Redbridge  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redbridge like this:

REDBRIDGE, a village and a hundred in Hants. The village stands on the river Test or Anton, at its influx to Southampton-water, and on the Andover and Southampton railway, at the spot where terminated the quondam Andover canal, 4 miles W N W of Southampton. It was known at Domesday as Rodbrige, and in the time of Bede as Reodford; it had a small religions establishment in the 7th century, where King Ceadwalla put thebrother of Arvandus to death, and which quite disappeared before the Norman conquest; it is said by Camden to have changed its name to Redbridge, on account of the erection of a bridge at it, where previouslywas a ford; it has, for centuries, been a place of considerable resort for coasting vessels; it was the scene, in last century, of General Bentham's experiments in thebuilding of swift scooners and brigs; it now carries onconsiderable trade in the export of grain, and in the import of coal and timber; it is practically conjoint with the villages of Eling and Totton; and it has a post-office under Southampton, a railway station, and an endowed school. ...


The hundred contains Lyndhurst and Nursling parishes, and parts of Eling, Bramshaw, and Minstead:and is in Romsey division. Acres, 44,086. Pop. in 1851, 9, 945. Houses, 1, 931.

Redbridge through time

Redbridge is now part of Southampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Redbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redbridge, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21059

Date accessed: 16th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Redbridge".