Place:


Oughtibridge  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oughtibridge like this:

OUGHTIBRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Ecclesfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Don, adjacent to the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, 4¾ miles N N W of Sheffield; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Sheffield. The chapelry contains also the village of Brightolmley, and the hamlets of Middlewood, Onesacre, Fairest-Green, and Wharncliffe-Side. ...


Rated property, £18, 602. Pop., 1, 415. The property is subdivided. Middlewood Hall is the seat of J. K. Skelton, Esq.; and Middlewood Vale, of Mrs. Swift. Industry is carried on in ironworks, in cutlery manufactories, in gannister-grinding, in iron and steel rolling mills, in a paper milland corn mills, and in quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, the Incumbent of Wadsley. The church was built in 1842, and is in the Norman style. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, a United Free Methodist chapel, and a mixed national school; and the last was built in 1861, at a cost of £1, 700, and is in the Tudor style.

Oughtibridge through time

Oughtibridge is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oughtibridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oughtibridge, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21043

Date accessed: 22nd May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oughtibridge".