Moulsham  Essex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moulsham like this:

MOULSHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Chelmsford parish, Essex. The hamlet lies on the right bank of the river Chelmer, immediately suburban to Chelmsford town; and is populous. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; was given to Westminster abbey; and went, at the dissolution, to the family of Mildmay. ...

Moulsham Hall was rebuilt. for Earl Fitzwalter, by Leoni; is now the seat of Sir H. B. P. St. John Mildmay, Bart.; and contains some interesting portraits, including one of the founders of Emmanuel college, Cambridge. A small Dominican priory stood on the spot still called the Friars. Some Roman relics were found in 1850.—The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Post town, Chelmsford. Pop. in 1861,4,229. Houses, 865. The living is a p. cnracy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £290. * Patron, the Rector of Chelmsford. The church was built in 1841, at a cost of about £2,500; and is in the early English style, with a bell-turret.

Moulsham through time

Moulsham is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moulsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moulsham, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th July 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Moulsham".