Place:


Kirkcambeck  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkcambeck like this:

KIRKCAMBECK, a quondam parish and a rivulet in the NE of Cumberland. The parish lay on the rivulet, 5½ miles NNE of Brampton; was overrun and desolated by the Scots, in the Border fends; and became absorbed in the parish of Lanercost. The living was a rectory; and the church, at some time, not recorded, was given to the prior and convent of Carlisle.-The rivulet rises in Spadeadam Moss, near the boundary with Cumberland; and runs about 12 miles southwestward to the Irthing, 1½ mile N of Brampton.

Kirkcambeck through time

Kirkcambeck is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkcambeck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkcambeck, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20970

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkcambeck ".