Place:


Holme  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holme like this:

HOLME, a chapelry, with a village, in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Rose-Grove and Todmorden branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the sources of the rivers Irwell and East and West Calder, at the E verge of the county, 4 miles SE by S of Burnley. It has a station on the railway; and its posttown is Burnley. ...


It is conterminate with the township of Cliviger, and was constituted in 1842. Acres, 6, 160. Real property, £14, 950; of which £7, 870 are in mines, and £179 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 441; in 1861, 1, 770. Houses, 346. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £101. Patron, T. H. Whitaker, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1788; contains tablets of the Whitaker, Hargreaves, Ormerod, and Edmondson families; and has a vault of the Whitakers, in which lie the remains of the Lancashire historian, Dr. Whitaker. There are Wesleyan chapels at Mereclough and Cornholme, and a national school near the church. The Cornholme Wesleyan chapel is an edifice in the pointed style, built in 1853.

Holme through time

Holme is now part of Burnley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Burnley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holme, in Burnley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20953

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holme ".