Harleston  Norfolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harleston like this:

HARLESTON, a small town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Depwade district, Norfolk. The town stands on the Waveney Valley railway, near the Waveney river and the boundary with Suffolk, 6½ miles SW of Bungay; was originally called Herolfston; is supposed to have derived its name from Herolf, a Danish chief who came over with Sweyn, and settled here; has a railway station, a head post-office,‡ three banking offices, a church, an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school; is a seat of petty sessions; and publishes a monthly newspaper. ...

A weekly market is held on Wednesday; fairs are held on 5 July, 9 Sept., and 1 Dec; and some manufacture of textile fabrics is carried on. The chapelry includes the town, and is in Reddenhall parish, and annexed to Reddenhall rectory, in the diocese of Norwich. Pop., 1,302. Houses, 315.—The sub-district contains ten parishes. Acres, 1 7,447. Pop., 5,922. Houses, 1,326.

Harleston through time

Harleston is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harleston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harleston in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 24th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harleston ".