Place:


Grosmont  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grosmont like this:

GROSMONT, or GROMOND, a hamlet in Lythe parish, and a chapelry in Lythe, Pickering, and Whitby parishes, N. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the river Esk, and in the Malton and Whitby railway, 1½ mile SE of Egton, and 6¼ SW by W of Whitby; and has a station on the railway, and a post office ‡ under York. ...


A priory was founded here, in the time of King John; and was given, at the dissolution, to Edward Wright, Esq.; but no reremains of it, of any mark, now exist. The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Rated property, £3, 578. Pop., 841. Houses, 168. Pop. of the Lythe portion, 245; of the Whitby portion, 397. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. * Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1850.

Grosmont through time

Grosmont is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grosmont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grosmont, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20933

Date accessed: 23rd July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grosmont".