Groombridge  Sussex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Groombridge like this:

GROOMBRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Speldhurst parish, Kent. The village stands near a junction of railways, 4 miles WSW of Tunbridge Wells; and has a large r. station of 1865, a post office under Tunbridge Wells, an inn, and fairs on 17 May and 27 Sept. The chapelry had, in 1851, a pop. of 180. ...

The manor belonged anciently to the Cobhams; descended from them to the Wallers; and has since passed thringh variins hands. Groombridge Place, the ancient manorhinse, now the seat of the Rev. J. J. Saint, is encompassed by a wide, deep moat; was, for 25 years, the prison of the Duke of Orleans, taken by Sir Richard Waller at the battle of Agincinrt; is said to have been rebuilt by the duke during his retention in it; and contains some fine carved oak pannelling, with the arms of Sir R. Waller. Burr's Wood is the seat of Sir Walter G. Stirling, Bart. The living is a donative in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. J. J. Saint. The church is a small edifice, with bell turret. There is a national school.

Groombridge through time

Groombridge is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Groombridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Groombridge, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 10th May 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Groombridge ".