Place:


Ridgmont  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ridgmont like this:

RIDGMONT, a village and a parish in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 1 mile S S E of a station of its own name on the Bedford and Bletchley railway, and 2¾ N E of Woburn; and has a post-office under Woburn. The parish comprises 2, 248 acres. Real property, £2, 814. Pop., 1,029. ...


Houses, 217. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £233.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The new church was built in 1855; and is in the decorated English style, with tower and spire. The old church is now used only for burials. There are a large Baptist chapel, a handsome Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £70.

Ridgmont through time

Ridgmont is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ridgmont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ridgmont in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2092

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ridgmont ".