Place:


Flookburgh  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flookburgh like this:

FLOOKBURGH, a village and a chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire. The village stands ½ a-mile SSE of Cark r. station, and 5½ ESE of Ulverston; was once a market town; has a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel, and two good inns; and is frequented by persons using the waters of Holywell medicinal spring, about 2 miles distant. ...


The chapelry includes the village, and appears to be conterminate with Lower Holker township. Acres, 2, 130. Rated property, £4, 040. Pop., 1, 160. Houses, 243. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £121.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1838.

Flookburgh through time

Flookburgh is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flookburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flookburgh, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20919

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flookburgh ".