Place:


Ferryside  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ferryside like this:

FERRYSIDE, a village and a chapelry in St. Ishmael parish, Carmarthen. The village stands on the river Towy, near its mouth, and adjacent to the South Wales railway, 4 miles NW of Kidwelty; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Kidwelty. It is a pretty place; overlooks a great expanse of tidal sand; is a rising watering-place, frequented by the people of Carmarthen and neighbouring towns; has a good inn; and possesses the recommendations of beautiful situation, pure air, excellent bathing-ground, cheapness of living., and command of excursions. ...


An extensive cockle fishery is carried on at it; and so many as from 800 to 1, 000 persons may be seen on its sands, and on those of Langharne, seeking for cockles, on the day before the steamer sails for Bristol. The chapelry does not seem to have definite limits; and its statistics are returned with those of the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £23. Patron, the Vicar of St. Ishmael.

Ferryside through time

Ferryside is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ferryside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferryside in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20916

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ferryside".