Place:


Corran  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Corran like this:

Corran Narrows, a strait, 1½ furlong wide between Loch Linnhe and Lower Loch Eil. On the E shore stands Corran Inn, 8¾ miles SW of Fort William; on the W are Corran lighthouse and Ardgour hamlets; and a ferry plies between. The lighthouse shows a fixed white light up Loch Eil and down Loch Linnhe, and a fixed red light toward the Narrows from Ardshiel Point to Coireherrich Point, both visible at a distance of l0 nautical miles.

Corran through time

Corran is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Corran itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corran, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20886

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Corran ".