Place:


Church Wilne  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church Wilne like this:

WILNE, a liberty and a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire. The liberty lies on the river Derwent, 1¼ mile SE of Draycott r. station, and 7 ESE of Derby; and bears the name of Church-Wilne or Little Wilne. Pop., 140. Houses, 30. The parish contains also Hopwell hamlet, Draycott liberty, which has a post-office under Derby, Breaston chapelry, which has a postal pillar-box under Derby, and Risley chapelry, which has a post-office under Nottingham. ...


Acres, 8,500. Rated property, £7,573. Pop., 2,095. Houses, 460. The property is much subdivided. Hopwell Hall, Draycott Hall, Draycott House, Draycott Field House, and Risley Hall are chief residences. There are cotton and lace manufactories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is ancient. The rectories of Breaston and Risley are a conjoint separate charge. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £378 a year, and charities £27.

Church Wilne through time

Church Wilne is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church Wilne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church Wilne, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20877

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Church Wilne ".