Place:


Oxney  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxney like this:

OXNEY, a hundred in Shepway lathe, Kent; at the boundary with Sussex, and adjacent to the Canterbury and Hastings railway, 1¾ mile S S W of Appledore. Itforms a sort of island, 6 miles long and 3 miles broad, engirt by branches of the river Rother; comprises the parishes of Stone, Ebony, and Wittersham; and is famousfor its fertile cattle-feeding marshes. Acres, 8, 852. Pop. in 1861, 1, 483. Houses, 289.

Oxney through time

Oxney is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxney, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20858

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oxney".