Place:


Norbury  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norbury like this:

NORBURY, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands adjacent to the Stockport and Buxton railway, and near an affluent of the river Mersey, 1 mile S E of Hazlegrove r.station, and 3 S E of Stockport. The township contains also part of the village of Hazlegrove, which has a post-office under Stockport. ...


Acres, 1, 410. Real property, £7, 172; of which £3, 200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 848; in 1861, 1, 305. Houses, 248. The manor belongs to W J Legh, Esq. Coal is largely worked. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1861, 994. Houses, 192. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £140. Patron, W. J. Legh, Esq. The church was built in 1834; is in the pointed style; comprises nave and aisles, with a low tower; and has a painted E window. There is a national school.

Norbury through time

Norbury is now part of Stockport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norbury, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20832

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norbury ".